Small business owners wear many hats within a business, which makes sense given start-up budgets and financial restraints. But hiring help for some of the more time-consuming aspects of your business could be extremely beneficial. And for many small business owners, copywriting is extremely time-consuming.
Once you have the money to do so, it’s wise to hire out a freelance copywriter. Freelancers don’t have the large price tags that agencies do and you’ll find that a freelancer can become like an extension of your team without the expense of paying for benefits and putting them on a salary.
Here’s a look at some of the benefits of hiring a freelance copywriter.
Content marketing strategy from a freelance copywriter
Many freelance copywriters are also content marketers, which means they can aid in building out your strategy for how all your content comes together to build a relationship with a prospect to convert them to a customer.
Ultimately, you want your brand to be consistent across all marketing channels. A content marketing strategy ensures that and more! With content marketing, you maximize the usefulness of every piece of content you develop so that it aids in email marketing, social media, SEO, and your blog.
Every tactic works together in your marketing strategy to reach people and an experienced copywriter and content marketer knows that.
Freelance copywriter SEO expertise
If you’re creating content for your company’s online presence, you should hire a freelance copywriter with SEO expertise. SEO blogging for small businesses is an important strategy for growing awareness of all that you have to offer.
While your main goal for your content might not be SEO, it should be a consideration. And without a copywriter who understands the basics of how to write content that ranks on search engines, you’re missing out on an opportunity. Don’t wait around and think you’ll optimize that content later when you can hire an SEO expert. Start now with good baseline copy that both engages readers and ranks on search engines.
Fresh, original content with minimal effort from you
If you’ve sat down multiple times to write the same piece of content and feel stuck, it’s time to hire a freelance copywriter. Hiring a freelance copywriting means you get fresh ideas and original content with minimal effort from you.
Instead of wasting your valuable time trying to write the content, hire it out. If you follow the tips below for how to hire an experienced copywriter, you’ll be glad you paid the money for an expert.
Affordable hourly rates so you can focus on your small business
While spending money in the early days of your business can be hard, you have to remember that your time is extremely valuable. Your know-how is what sets your business apart from your competitors.
Put your time to good use and enjoy the affordable rates of a freelance copywriter. What’s reasonable to pay for a copywriter? Well, that depends on the content and how in-depth it is. For U.S. based native speakers, you can expect to see hourly rates from $25-150 an hour. The sweet spot is somewhere in the middle.
You can find a good copywriter for $40-75 an hour that gets the job done well. The lower brackets are generally individuals who are just starting out. And while they certainly deserve a chance, consider carefully your goals and whether or not you have the patience to work with them as they learn the ropes.
The more expensive copywriters are generally those who have many years of experience and are focused within a niche. They might have in-depth knowledge about a topic, such as medicine, that other writers struggle to write about. These more expensive copywriters provide deep industry knowledge for those who need more technical writing. Many small businesses don’t need to worry about this type of writing in the early days of their business so look more for the mid-range copywriter.
How to set yourself up for a successful freelance copywriter project
Take some time to carefully outline what you’re looking for. Don’t just post a job out there saying you need a copywriter. Consider what skills you want the copywriter to possess and what’s most important to you.
Timelines are also helpful for finding the right copywriter. Set timelines and make those clear when reaching out to potential copywriters.
If you’re looking for website copywriting, be prepared to outline the goal of each webpage and key messages you want to convey to your consumers on those pages.
Setting up your project for success means providing your freelance copywriter all that you can at the start of the project. If you have competitor analysis, provide that information to your copywriter as well. Brand guidelines that outline voice and tone can also be helpful for your copywriter if you have such documents.
What to look for when hiring a freelance copywriter
One of the hardest parts about being a small business owner is finding employees and partners who are good at what they claim to be good at. The gig economy is ever-growing but with that comes some difficulty in finding those who are truly skilled at what they claim to be skilled at.
Here’s how to find a freelance copywriter who is good at what they do.
- Experience in your industry or a similar industry: background knowledge about challenges your industry faces or what motivates consumers within your industry is always helpful. This is certainly not a requirement for hiring a copywriter because many copywriters are skilled in learning about a topic quickly to get up to speed.
- SEO expertise: freelance copywriters who are also well-versed in SEO are extremely helpful. Check their portfolio for content where you can see a clear target keyword for the copy without it being stuffed into every sentence on the page.
- Clean grammar and the ability to follow a brand style guide: grammar is one of the first impressions you’ll give off to your potential customers. You want copy that is clean and easy to read. Ask for samples of work to ensure that the copywriter applying for your work knows their stuff. And if you see typos in their cover letter or email exchanges, look elsewhere.
- Digital marketing know-how: if you’re hiring a copywriter to develop content for your website, blog, email marketing, social media or other online presence, ask about their digital marketing experience. Each communication channel has nuances and hiring a writer who gets that is very helpful.
- Timeliness and respect for deadlines: nothing is more frustrating than having freelancers who miss their deadlines hold up your project. Set very clear deadlines in your communication and planning with the freelancer and hold them to those deadlines. Failing to meet deadlines is a good reason to look for a new freelance copywriter.
- Interviewing abilities to capture your thoughts and sentiments: freelance copywriters who know how to interview an individual and ask the right questions is invaluable. That’s because these freelancers make for the best ghostwriters. They can capture what you’re thinking and what you’re trying to convey clearly.
- Ask to see previous work: it’s so important that you see samples of work for a freelance copywriter you’re considering hiring. Ask for relevant industry experience as well to see content from those industries if that’s important to you.
Hiring a freelance copywriter can free up time for small business owners to focus on building their business. If you’re looking for a skilled copywriter, you’ve come to the right place. Bridge the Gap Communication offers clear and concise content that resonates with your target audience and delights them to turn prospects into customers. Contact us for a project estimate.